Tuesday 19 August 2014

Rails Girls~


Ruby on Rails is an awesome web framework, similar to Django, which I talked about a few weeks ago. I went to Rails Girls on the weekend, which allocates a day to go through in quite a bit of depth, all technologies involved in creating a website with Ruby on Rails.

These were:
  • Installation
  • HTML/CSS
  • Ruby
  • Combining them together with Rails
  • Github
  • Deploying to Heroku with PostgreSQL
It was super fun. It seems that the Ruby community is super strong in Brisbane. It's perfect for anyone who knows nothing about creating a website, not just Ruby on Rails.

Tutorial: http://guides.railsgirls.com/app/

Here's my deployed website: http://morning-ocean-7579.herokuapp.com/ideas

I'd love to use Django or Rails for my website, however since the most complex thing I do is list my blog posts (which can even be done on the client) it seems a little over the top, especially since I'd need to pay for cloud hosting which is vastly more expensive than my cheap web hosting.

:s

No comments:

Post a Comment